Summer is slowing creeping upon us and I can’t wait for the sun to arrive in full force. In preperation, I scoured my favorite online retailers, from ASOS to Need Supply Co., in search of the perfect summer dress.
As I started picking out my favorites, I noticed a trend with my choices. They were either corset topped (or sweetheart neckline, if you prefer that terminology), striped (of course), or wildly printed. So I narrowed it down to my favorite 3 in each of these categories:
The corset top dress is perfect for afternoon barbecues or picnics in the park with friends. They’re so sweet and summery:
- Urban Renewal Striped Linen Bustier Dress, Urban Outfitters, $58
- Dahlia Net Layer Babydoll Dress, ASOS, $118.36
- Chambray Corset Dress, Victoria’s Secret, $39.99
These striped dresses can be worn during work hours or even on weekend beach trips. They’re versatile and never go out of style:
- Dahlia Striped Full Belted Dress, ASOS, $93
- Striped Knit Dress, Need Supply Co., $48
- LnA Stripe Tee Dress, Revolve Clothing, $105
Even though the prints vary, they all pack a colorful punch – exactly what you need in the summer months! I would wear the sweeter prints (like the florals and polka dots) during the day and the bolder prints (like the zig zag) for a night of cocktails with friends or on a date with my boyfriend:
- Contrast Pocket Dress, Need Supply Co., $48
- Dahlia Vintage Print Belted Dress, ASOS, $93
- Marc by Marc Jacobs Diamond Zigzag Dress, Shopbop, $258
[Images via ASOS, Urban Outfitters, Need Supply Co., Victoria’s Secret, Shopbop, Revolve]
Ideal Spring Outfit #5: Chambray, White Jeans, and Alexa
- Selvidge Chambray Shirt, J. Crew, $98 [Image via J. Crew]
- Pearl Collar, Forever 21, $15.80 [Image via Forever 21]
- J Brand 10″ Ankle Skinny Jeans, Shopbop, $159 [Image via Shopbop]
- Mulberry Alexa Bag, Mulberry, $1,150 [Image via Mulberry]
- Spitfire 70s Removable Shades Sunglasses, ASOS, $30.77 [Image via ASOS]
- AIDAH Leather Brogue Lace-Up Ankle Boot, ASOS, $111.11, [Image via ASOS]
I can actually picture myself wearing this ideal spring outfit…minus the Alexa bag of course (as much as I love/need, I don’t have a spare grand laying around). And for as often as I live in a fashion fantasy world, I’m a jeans and tee kind of gal (mostly…I do spruce up every now and again). So this outfit is not much different than my current repertoire.
I decided to add a little flair with the FO 21 pearl collar. If you’re EVER thinking to yourself: I need flair, you will undoubtedly find said flair at Forever 21. It doesn’t matter that the gold will tarnish or the necklaces will break after 2 wears, FO 21 has a well-stocked flair department. You will find what you need for just about any occasion. Anyways, the pearl collar adds a nice feminine touch to the mostly masculine pieces of the outfit (though the pearls will probably start to unravel before I even finish posting this blog).
The Spitfire circle glasses, on the other hand, will automatically catapult you (or me, I guess) into the hipster category. I better start practicing my brooding face.
And what can I say about the Mulberry Alexa? It’s perfection. I would put it in the same category as the PS1. Classic. Timeless. Essential. Versatile. The bee’s knees. Too expensive for moi.
With that said, I want to wear this outfit right now. Is it legal to wear white jeans yet???
Ideal Spring Outfit #4: Watercolors, Jean Jacket, and Clog-like Wedges
- Watercolor Dress, Need Supply Co., $54 [Image via Need Supply Co.]
- Plush Fleece Lined Tights, Shopbop, $35 [Image via Shopbop]
- Vince Denim Acid Wash Jean Jacket, Shopbop, $225 [Image via Shopbop]
- Jeffrey Campbell Snick, Need Supply Co., $125 [Image via Need Supply Co.]
Out of all my ideal spring outfits, this one is probably the most random. Why fleece-lined tights? you might ask. Well, sometimes it gets chilly in the spring! Why 5-inch wedges that you will undoubtedly never wear? you may say next. Hmm, you got me there. Even though I could never pull off these wedges, I’m still fascinated by them! The studs remind me of clogs (major this spring, right Vivs?). There’s a certain je ne sais quoi about them that I’m just lusting after.
As for the dress, I’m loving the bright watercolor pattern and the slight poof of the sleeve. This dress (plus the wedges) will definitely add a little zest in my springtime step.
To me, this ensemble is nothing without the acid wash jean jacket. It’s like the classic jean jacket’s evil, hardcore twin sister. Ok so it might not be that hardcore but it definitely brings a new level of edginess to the outfit, don’t you think?
Lately, I’ve been boggled down with fall trends but since fall is still 6 or 7 months away, I say we get back to spring because it’s just around the corner. Goodbye shearling, arm warmers, and wool coats – we’ll see you soon!
Every day this week, I’m going to show you one of my ideal spring outfits. You know the kind: an outfit that I wish I was wearing but for some unforeseen reason (lack of money, legs too white, still raining outside, not cool enough), I’m not. Hopefully, I’ll be able to recreate these ideal outfits in the future (and by the future, I mean like asap).
Ideal Spring Outfit #1: Sheer Pastels, Khaki, and Two-Toned Oxfords
- A.L.C. Pocket Tee, Shopbop, $145 [Image via Shopbop]
- J. Crew Cotton Nico Skirt, J. Crew, $59.50 [Image via J. Crew]
- Anthropologie Spring Thaw Bralette, Anthropologie, $44 [Image via Anthropologie]
- J. Crew Leather Equestrian Belt, J. Crew, $45 [Image via J. Crew]
- Rag & Bone Cap Toe Lace Up Oxfords, Shopbop, $325 [Image via Shopbop]
- Anthropologie Woven Pendulum Sling Bag, Anthropologie, $118 [Image via Anthropologie]
This spring, it’s all about the sheer pastels and lace bralettes. Though I’m not down to wear ultra, ultra sheer, this A.L.C. tee has just the right amount of sheerness to it. Paired with a khaki skirt, this outfit is the perfect dose of feminine. Since I’ve been wearing black all winter, this will be a lovely change in my wardrobe. And what’s a spring outfit without oxfords? I love the two-toned aspect of these Rag & Bone oxfords! Oh, spring, where are you?? I can’t wait to dress for the sun!