I haven’t had a traditional 4th of July celebration in a few years. Last year, I was in Paris for the 4th and the year before that, I was in Newport Beach with Kyle and we literally wandered around that mad house (trust me, it was beyond craziness) car-less and firework-less.
This year, I’m doing it right. I’m going to eat a patriotic dessert, wear classic Americana, and watch fireworks from a lawn chair. Hmm…it might be difficult since I’ll be at a L.A. Galaxy game Sunday night but I’m hoping to make it work. At least I’ll have the outfit.
- J.Crew Lightweight Cotton Caprese Tunic, J. Crew, $35: Sure, I might blatantly be copying Emma Watson‘s outfit but you can’t blame me. I remember my mom wearing shirts like this in the early 90s. And that means I need it now.
- Karen Walker Number Six, Need Supply Co., $170: I’ve stressed my love for Karen Walker before, but time and again I find myself gravitating toward them.
- Crumbs Patriotic Cupcake, Crumbs Bake Shop, $4.50: I’m sorry but you simply can’t have an Independence Day celebration without a patriotic dessert. You better stock up on your blueberries, strawberries, and white frosting right about now.
- J.Crew Pindot Bikini Top and Bottoms, J.Crew, $29.99 each: It’s classic. It’s polka-dotted. It’s navy. Yes, please.
- Kiehl’s Super Fluid UV Defense SPF 50+, Kiehl’s, $32: This is the creme de la creme of facial sunscreens. It’s lightweight and soaks directly into your skin. And sunscreen is always a must.
- L.L. Bean Mariner Leather Purse, L.L. Bean, $77.50: You can’t get more Americana than L.L. Bean. Their Signature collection is to die for, by the way.
- Anthropologie Outdoor Cafe Cardigan, Anthropologie, $98: It always gets chilly at night and this Anthro cardi has just the right amount of weight.
- J Brand Distressed Denim Shorts, Net-A-Porter, $165: As I’ve said here, I love rolled denim.
- J. Crew Angnyss Sandals, J. Crew, $135: These are by far my FAVORITE sandals of the summer so I had to incorporate them into my quintessential summer outfit. Now, I’m just waiting for them to go on sale.
Happy 4th of July everyone! Hope you have a wonderful weekend filled with lots of barbeques, firework displays, and fun.
P.S. Happy birthday to my wonderful and beautiful mother!!
I have a love/hate relationship with Valentine’s Day. On one hand, it can be a great way to remind your partner just how much you love them. In my book, a simple, loving note would do the trick. On the other hand, it has become a very commercialized, generic holiday. Why do some men insist on buying the most cliche gifts?? Red roses (boring), ugly tennis bracelets from Kay Jewelers (NO THANKS!), a box of chocolates (actually I’m always down for a box of chocolates no matter what day it is), trashy lingerie (gross), generic Hallmark cards (bleh).
Women want to feel special and unique – the center of your world! I’m sorry but red roses do not say You’re the center of my world when 9 million other women received the exact same bouquet on the exact same day. We must put an end to generic giftism (is that a word?)! Here are some unique and simple gift ideas that will make your girl feel extra special this Valentine’s Day:
- Instead of red roses, why not a bouquet of ranunculus? They are gorgeous, wild flowers that come in all shapes and sizes, ranging in hues from pinks to yellows to purples. The best part is that they’re in season right now so you can find them for pretty cheap at local farmer’s markets and grocery stores. Design*Sponge has a feature on ranunculus that will give you some great ideas.
- Instead of a boring tennis bracelet or a generic necklace from a jewelry store in the mall, why not give this Lisa Stewart studded pink cuff? It’s just the right amount of girly and just the right amount of edge! The cuff is super fun and will add a beautiful pop of color to any outfit.
- Another great jewelry idea is this catbird heart ring. I am BEYOND obsessed with it! It’s delicate and subtle, yet at the same time, the little gold heart will really stand out in your girlfriend’s eyes. I know I would feel special if I got it (wink, wink bf). You can also substitute the heart for any letter of the alphabet if you wanted to make it more personal. I would like a “j” and a heart, please.
- Instead of a box of chocolates, surprise your lady with a dozen Valentine-themed cupcakes from Crumbs Bake Shop.
- Instead of sifting through racks of trashy lingerie at Frederick’s, give your girl something a little more classy and chic like this Anthropologie silk bralette. Underwear as outerwear is the thing to do for spring anyways, am I right? Don’t forget that it was showcased heavily on almost every SS10 runway. Your girl will appreciate your up-to-date knowledge on a key fashion trend! Don’t forget to take a look at the matching bloomers too. Très adorable!
- Most importantly, write your woman a LOVE LETTER! There’s really nothing more beautiful than seeing your love manifested into words. Your girlfriend’s heart will be fluttering at the mere sight of a handwritten love note!! If you wanted to get extra creative, you could find an etsy or website that will write the calligraphy for you, like Hello Handmade Paperie. Though they’ve recently sold out of their Jane Austen-inspired love letters, you can still order them for after Valentine’s Day. I was so obsessed with this etsy that I sent it the BF at least 10 times in the last few weeks, dropping hint after hint that I needed a Jane Austen Valentine letter of sorts.
- If you’re not a handwritten love letter kind of guy, try to find a unique card that can’t be found on the shelves of Walmart. You can find really amazing and truly original cards on the Snow & Graham website. My favorite is the cupcake card. It’s great, no???
Now that you have a few ideas for Valentine’s Day, I hope you find something beyond the realm of red roses and Hallmark cards and show your girlfriend just how special she truly is.
[Image 1 via Design*Sponge, Image 3 via catbird, Image 4 via Crumbs, Image 5 via Anthropologie, Image 6 via Hello Handmade Paperie, Image 7 via Snow & Graham]
I’m getting this one in honor of tonight…
Love at first bite. Perfect, no??
[Crumbs Bake Shop]
Today, I’m in a very good mood. When I’m in good moods, I immediately think of cupcakes. My go-to cupcake? Vanilla/Chocolate Sprinkle from Crumbs Bake Shop.
Crumbs is by far my favorite cupcake joint. I’ll take a Sprinkles cupcake any day but if I had a choice, it would be Crumbs. They are so light and delicious whereas Sprinkles cake is a little more dense and their frosting a little too sweet. Crumbs hits the cupcake recipe jackpot. And they have so many different flavors!!! Pumpkin, carrot, chocolate covered strawberry, butterfinger, cookie dough, red velvet. The list could go on and on!
The Crumbs Bake Shop slogans also brighten my day:
- “Made by hand. Baked with love.”
- “Serving smiles daily”
- “Delivering happiness”
Whoever created those slogans deserves a raise because I’m about to head over there right now to get myself a cupcake or 6.