This 10 Things post is not quite as easy as the others. Why? Because my favorite foods change on an hourly basis. For example, 2 weeks ago I was eating 2-3 mini scones a day. If I made this list last month, they would be sitting comfortably in the #1 spot. Now, I can’t even look at them. I overindulged. Over them.
Yet even though these “favorite foods” are what I’m loving right now, most of these items have held secure top 10 spots for many years. Just thinking about them is making me hungry.
- Roasted Beets: If I could, I would eat beets for every meal. Though they’re most often tossed in salads, I love eating them with a simple cheese, like mozzarella or goat cheese, with a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar. DIVINE.
- Burrata Mozzarella: This version of Italian mozzarella is the freshest and softest of cheeses. You haven’t had good (and I mean GOOD) mozzarella until you’ve had burrata. This cheese really stands on it’s own and goes best with simple dishes like caprese. Burrata and roasted beets? Out. Of. This. World.
- Roasted Shrimp: Seasoned with a dash of salt and freshly ground pepper and then roasted in the oven for 4 minutes or so, shrimp has the potential to be so succulent and flavorful. My favorite thing to do with roasted shrimp is wrap them in a corn tortilla and slab it with guacamole.
- Olives: There’s nothing better than a bowl of mixed olives (paired with a glass of red wine, of course). The salty, briney flavor is just incomparable! My favorites are the green olives but I would never turn down a kalamata or niçoise.
- Sautéed Mushrooms: Lately I’ve been adding sautéed mushrooms to every dish possible, from spaghettis to pizzas to omelets. Usually I sauté them over medium-high heat with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little minced garlic.
- Fresh Pasta: Though I never have time to make it on my own, I love going to real authentic Italian restaurants and ordering fresh pasta. Compared to the store-bought version, fresh noodles are so flavorful and…fresh!
- Dutch Gouda: If you didn’t know this already, I’m Dutch. That means I own a pair of clogs and my diet consists partially of gouda cheese. I’ve been eating Dutch gouda by the slice for as long as I can remember. FYI it’s not the same as regular gouda – I believe it’s aged differently than the American version making it 1000 times better.
- Tempeh: I’m also part Indonesian and LOVE when my mother concocts her famous Indo recipes, from curries to coconut milk-soaked veggies to shrimp chips. One of my favorite Indonesian exports is tempeh. Tempeh is actually a fermented tofu that has been fried and pressed into a cake form. The process sounds kind of gross and weird but it’s one of the most delicious (and extremely healthy) foods!
- Mangoes: As soon as mango season comes around, you can guarantee that I’ll be stocking up on my most favorite fruit in the world.
- Chocolate: Whether it be in cupcake, fudge, mousse, or chip form, I will forever love chocolate. Though my favorite is dark (at least 70% cacao please), I will really eat anything that has the word “chocolate” in its title.
Just as with the last 2 posts, I want to hear what your favorite foods are! I’m such a foodie and love discussing any topic relating to food.
[Image via weheartit]