Today, I’m flying out to New York City for a long weekend in the concrete jungle where dreams are made of (question: am I allowed to sing the Jay-Z song whilst there?). There’s no other way to express my feelings for NYC other than: I LOVE THIS FREAKIN CITY. The energy is palpable, the food is delectable, and the people?? Well, let’s just say that New Yorkers are working on a WHOLE OTHER LEVEL of chicness. And therefore, I feel it’s my duty to dress better when I’m in the city.
With that said, I decided to pack a virtual suitcase to help me figure out exactly what I need to bring on my trip. Of course, none of these items below actually went in my suitcase but a variation (aka less expensive) of the version did.
Here is my dream packing list for New York City:
- Army Green Parka: This A.P.C cotton twill parka has all the makings of a spring 2010 trend: military, green, cinched waist, military, military, military. Not only that, it screams downtown chic.
- Oversized Knit Cardigan: This Cacharel cardigan is the type of sweater that I could live in. With the rising temps in Manhattan, a heavy puffer coat is out of the question. This cardi will pair perfectly with a pair of jeggings and/or a springtime dress.
- Chambray Shirtdress: I’m all about shirtdresses lately, especially this Rag & Bone version. You can dress them up or wear them a little more casual. These multi-use items are perfect for traveling.
- Karen Walker Sunglasses: Since I’ve been majorly crushing on these Karen Walkers, I figured they’d be a perfect traveling partner across the country.
- Braided Leather Belt: Besides the fact that braided belts look amazing with springtime dresses and cinched over shirts/cardigans/coats (especially this J. Crew one), they are great for expanding and contracting bellies. If you don’t know this already, one of my nicknames is Buddha. I like to eat. And that means I need a belt that I can easily loosen and tighten throughout the day.
- Printed Scarf: When it comes to scarves, I love a wild print. It can dramatically alter your outfit. But because of this Urban Outfitters scarf’s neutral tones, it can really match with anything – which means it’s perf for tossing in your suitcase.
- Chiffon Day Dress: Oddly enough, it’s supposed to be warm in New York City this weekend. A flowy chiffon dress like this Urban Outfitters polka dot frock will be a great way to say hello to the springtime while waltzing on the streets of the Meatpacking District (my fave).
- Day-to-Night Blouse: When it comes to cute, flirty, feminine tops, Topshop knows what they’re doing. I always look to them first when on a search for a great top. This particular one would look spectacular paired with leggings for the daytime and matched with a black skirt for the night.
- Magical Satchel: In my opinion, this Proenza Schouler PS1 is magical. I’ve never seen a bag so unapologetically perfect. It’s great for traveling because you can fit all of your random crap inside of it. And when you’re walking around the city, you can wear it as a shoulder bag. Too bad it’s only affordable for 1% of America.
- Floral-Printed Skirt: When the sun comes out, I’ll definitely be sporting a skirt and what better way to ring in the spring with a floral-printed number like this A.P.C jupe?
- Comfy gray shirt: This Lutz & Patmos shirt needs no explanation. I just love comfy shirts.
- Lace-up Booties: I have been lusting after these Rag & Bone boots ever since Gwenyth Paltrow showcased them all over London a few weeks ago. Dressed up(town) or down(town), I would literally wear them everyday with every outfit.
- Knit Pullover: Just in case it gets chilly (or if I’m wandering around the hipster haven of LES), this pullover will certainly do the trick.
- Peter Pan Collared Dress: Anything that reminds me of Alexa Chung’s collection for Madewell is instantly my new favorite thing. This dress is my ode to Alexa.
- Brightly-Printed Dress: Everyone needs a pop of color and a touch of pizazz in their life. This H&M dress from their newly released Garden Collection screams color and pizazz and that means it’s perfect for a night out on the town.
- Thick Tights: Of course, when the temperature drops, these Plush fleeced-lined tights will be the first thing I turn to. They were an essential component of one of my ideal spring outfits and they will certainly come in handy on my trip to New York.
[Images via Shopbop, La Garconne, H&M, J. Crew, Need Supply Co., Topshop, Urban Outfitters, Proenza Schouler]
Oh man that Proenza Schouler satchel is glorious! Hope you guys have a great trip!
Love it! hope you have a wonderful time 😀 Eat a chicken kabob for me. (are you eating chicken??)