Everyone has certain things in their life that complete them. Of course my family, boyfriend, and friends are at the very top of this “Can’t Live Without” list but I also have 10 other vitals that I’ve come to depend upon.
- Tea: I have tea, whether it be iced or hot, all day long. Some of my favorite tea brands are Revolution, Tejava, Republic of Tea, Harney & Sons, and…well, I could go on forever but that’s a blog post within itself.
- Cupcakes: Of course this one isn’t as vital, but cupcakes are one of my favorite things to indulge in.
- My iPod: Yes, I said iPod. You’re probably wondering if these old school contraptions actually still exist, what with all the iTouchs and Nanos and Shuffles, but they do! My iPod has been so good to me over the years.
- Erin Condren Life Planner: Of course I went into detail about my day planner here and let me tell you, it keeps me so organized and together.
- Strawberry Chapstick: I’m talking about the actual Chapstick brand in strawberry flavor. This chapstick is much more than a beauty essential to me. I keep them well stocked too: 1 in every drawer of my nightstands, stashed in every purse, in the glove compartment of my car, in my desk at work, everywhere possible.
- Kiehl’s Crème de Corps: Kiehl’s is my absolute favorite brand for lotions, moisturizers, and body washes. I’ve used Crème de Corps for years now and it’s the only body lotion that truly soaks into my skin and keeps it hydrated. I use it everyday!
- Moleskine Notebook: For Christmas last year, Kyle gave me a Moleskine notebook so that I could write down all of my thoughts, ideas, inspirations, muses, and random notes. Whenever I have something I need written down, my Moleskine is always there for me.
- Cadbury Mini Eggs: If you know me at all, then you’re fully aware of my unhealthy obsession with Cadbury mini eggs. I have absolutely NO willpower when a bowl of cads are dangled in front of my face. Just the fact that I know they’re available on Amazon (see link) during the off season should say enough.
- Monthly Mags: Whether it be an InStyle, Elle, or Cooking Light, I need a monthly fix of my mags.
- My blogs: Just as much as I need a monthly magazine fix, I also need a DAILY blog fix. Blogs have become such an integral part of my life and reading them is the highlight of my days. From personal style blogs to food blogs to my friends’ blogs to profesh blogs like Refinery 29, I need them every day (every hour is more like it).
[Image via weheartit]
This 10 Things post is not quite as easy as the others. Why? Because my favorite foods change on an hourly basis. For example, 2 weeks ago I was eating 2-3 mini scones a day. If I made this list last month, they would be sitting comfortably in the #1 spot. Now, I can’t even look at them. I overindulged. Over them.
Yet even though these “favorite foods” are what I’m loving right now, most of these items have held secure top 10 spots for many years. Just thinking about them is making me hungry.
- Roasted Beets: If I could, I would eat beets for every meal. Though they’re most often tossed in salads, I love eating them with a simple cheese, like mozzarella or goat cheese, with a light drizzle of balsamic vinegar. DIVINE.
- Burrata Mozzarella: This version of Italian mozzarella is the freshest and softest of cheeses. You haven’t had good (and I mean GOOD) mozzarella until you’ve had burrata. This cheese really stands on it’s own and goes best with simple dishes like caprese. Burrata and roasted beets? Out. Of. This. World.
- Roasted Shrimp: Seasoned with a dash of salt and freshly ground pepper and then roasted in the oven for 4 minutes or so, shrimp has the potential to be so succulent and flavorful. My favorite thing to do with roasted shrimp is wrap them in a corn tortilla and slab it with guacamole.
- Olives: There’s nothing better than a bowl of mixed olives (paired with a glass of red wine, of course). The salty, briney flavor is just incomparable! My favorites are the green olives but I would never turn down a kalamata or niçoise.
- Sautéed Mushrooms: Lately I’ve been adding sautéed mushrooms to every dish possible, from spaghettis to pizzas to omelets. Usually I sauté them over medium-high heat with extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, and a little minced garlic.
- Fresh Pasta: Though I never have time to make it on my own, I love going to real authentic Italian restaurants and ordering fresh pasta. Compared to the store-bought version, fresh noodles are so flavorful and…fresh!
- Dutch Gouda: If you didn’t know this already, I’m Dutch. That means I own a pair of clogs and my diet consists partially of gouda cheese. I’ve been eating Dutch gouda by the slice for as long as I can remember. FYI it’s not the same as regular gouda – I believe it’s aged differently than the American version making it 1000 times better.
- Tempeh: I’m also part Indonesian and LOVE when my mother concocts her famous Indo recipes, from curries to coconut milk-soaked veggies to shrimp chips. One of my favorite Indonesian exports is tempeh. Tempeh is actually a fermented tofu that has been fried and pressed into a cake form. The process sounds kind of gross and weird but it’s one of the most delicious (and extremely healthy) foods!
- Mangoes: As soon as mango season comes around, you can guarantee that I’ll be stocking up on my most favorite fruit in the world.
- Chocolate: Whether it be in cupcake, fudge, mousse, or chip form, I will forever love chocolate. Though my favorite is dark (at least 70% cacao please), I will really eat anything that has the word “chocolate” in its title.
Just as with the last 2 posts, I want to hear what your favorite foods are! I’m such a foodie and love discussing any topic relating to food.
[Image via weheartit]